Boilermakers Lodge 146

FAQ – Alberta Job Ready Dispatch

Alberta Job Ready Dispatch FAQ’S

Revised: 10-20-2020



  1. What do I need to go to work in Alberta for Local 146?


  1. OSSA or ESC Confined Space Entry (classroom or online)
  2. ESC Fall Protection (classroom only)
  3. Respiratory Fit Certifications (2 Masks). Required Certifications:
    1. 3M-Full Mask-Quantative Model 6000 Series
    2. 3M-1/2 Mask-Quantative, Model 6500QL Series
  4. Audiometric Testing
  5. H2S Awareness (online)
  6. Common Safety Orientation (CSO) (online)
  7. CSTS-2020 Fundamentals or CSTS-09 (online)


2. How do I get my Audiometric Testing?


We as an organization have embarked on a program (contractual obligation) through our Health and Welfare trust to provide FREE Audiometric exams ONCE per year, for Lodge 146 members ONLY. We have a national agreement with Connect Hearing. All you have to do is make an appointment by calling 1-888-501-2661 to find a location near you. They will direct bill to the Boilermaker Health and Welfare Plan.


3. As a member, how do I get the training?


  1. You can register to take training that is available at the Boilermaker Training Centre in Edmonton and Calgary. Please view the Boilermaker Course Calendar on our website for dates and further instructions.
  2. You can register with a third party provider that is set up for direct billing. For the list of direct billing providers, please see the members only section of the website.
  3. You can register with any provider at a location near you and get reimbursed. You can find a full list of courses that can be reimbursed as well as the form in the members only section.


4. As a member, how do I request to access online course registration?


Common Safety Orientation (CSO)


To access this training, please send an email to, Subject line: Request Access to CSO Training and CSO access code with instructions to access this course will be sent to you via email. Link to Energy Safety Canada Online CSO.

H2S Awareness


To access this training, please send an email, Subject line: Request Access to H2S Awareness Training and an H2S access code with instructions to access the course will be sent to you via email. Link to Canada Safety Training Online H2S Awareness.


CSTS-2020 Fundamentals


To access this training, please send an email to, Subject Line: Request to CSTS 2020 and a Username and Password with instructions will be sent to you via email. You may also follow the link provide to register and enroll yourself as the CSTS 2020 course is free until December 31, 2020. Please sent the lodge a copy of your completed ticket for tracking purposes. Link to ASCA Online CSTS 2020


5. What do I need to apply for reimbursement?


  1. Log into the members only section of the website and complete the Alberta Job Ready Dispatch Application for Reimbursement Form.
  2. Email a copy of your ticket and receipt(s) to
  3. If you misplaced your receipt(s), please contact your course provider and request a duplicate. *Reimbursements will not be provided without a receipt*


6. Where can I find an ESC/OSSA course provider near me?


The Energy Safety Canada website has a full list of Approved Training Providers. Remember to ask for the ESC version of the course required. Many of the approved vendors provide multiple versions of the same course.


7. As a member, when do I need to have the training?


It is your responsibility to have all the required prior to your start date and must be valid for 60 days following your start date. Failing to provide up to date Job Ready requirements may result in termination, a $200.00 fine and replacement to the bottom of the Out of Work List.


8. What does my Respirator Fit Certificate need to say?


  • Quantitave Test
  • Brand (3M)
  • Model Number and Size.


If you are unable to fit a recommended mask(s), please request a ticket stating “No Fit”


9. I have a Quantitative fit Test, but the Model Number is different than the one recommended. What should I do?


It is recommended that you have all model numbers requested. Please ensure your fit test card includes the required mask(s)/model numbers/quantitative test and issue date.


10. What is the difference between Alberta Job Ready Dispatch and CORE Training?


Alberta Job Ready is what you need to go to work in Alberta. CORE Training is training you receive that is recognized across Canada at other Boilermakers Locals. To view other provinces safety ticket requirements, visit the IBB Travel Card website.


11. Why did Alberta Job Ready Dispatch Start?


In collective bargaining for the last BCA Collective Agreement (2015-2019), it was agreed by a Liaison committee of both Union and BCA contractors would work together to establish a set of standardized safety programs that would be required before workers were dispatched to work (Job Ready Dispatch). The intent of this initiative was to reduce the amount of redundant safety training and get workers on the job sooner.


12.What if I am issued a respirator on the job site that is not what I have been      tested to with my Alberta Job Ready Dispatch?


You must be fit tested to the specific model of mask you’re using on the jobsite. If you are issued another type or model of mask, you will be required to be fit tested by your contractor.


Do Not wear a mask type or model that you have not been fit tested for.


13. Do my Respiratory Fit tickets require an expiry date?


No, but they MUST have an issue date. According to WorkSafe Alberta – fit testing must be done at least every two years if there is no change in the respirator or wearer.


14. My Certification is about to expire, should I re-certify?


Certifications must be valid for 60 days from the employment start date.


15. I lost my certification, what should I do?


Contact the provider who offered the training to you initially and get a replacement certificate.


16. As a Travel Card, when do I need to have the training?


It is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO HAVE ALL THE REQUIRED TICKETS prior to your start date and must be valid for 60 days following your start date.





17. As a Permit, how do I get the training?


You can locate providers by searching the internet or by visiting for approved ESC vendors You must provide proof of training when you report to get a dispatch from Lodge 146.


18. As a Permit, when do I need to have the training?


Have the certification with you when you go to bid on a call at the Local 146 Dispatch Hall.